Car Accident Attorney

How a Car Accident Attorney Can Assist with Your Hit and Run Case

Being in a car accident is an emotionally jarring experience. They are always unexpected and human instincts are not at their best. This can sometimes cause a person to flee the scene of an accident, which is not the appropriate response. If this has happened to you, you are likely feeling disrespected and confused. A car accident attorney can help you sort through the situation so that you receive the compensation you deserve for your trouble, especially if it includes bodily injury to you or another passenger in your vehicle.
What is a Hit and Run?
A car accident is considered a hit and run if any person involved leaves the scene of the accident without identifying themselves or providing assistance to others in the accident. This can be as simple as backing into an unoccupied car in a parking lot and failing to leave a note, or running a red light and hitting another vehicle or pedestrian. A hit and run is often considered a supplemental crime. This means that the primary crime may have been running a red light, but then leaving the scene of the accident is an additional crime.
When Should I Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
If you have been hit by a vehicle that then drove off without checking on you or giving you their contact information, you should first call the police and file a report. Then, call for an attorney. The attorney will work with the police to locate the offending party and recover your due compensation. You may be entitled to funds to help cover the cost of car repairs, medical bills, or time off work.
What Are the Consequences of a Hit and Run?
If a person commits a hit and run and is convicted, they may be charged with either a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the outcome of the accident. A felony is typically defined as leaving the scene of an accident where an injury has occurred. The penalties for a felony can vary from $5,000 to $20,000 and carry an incarceration term up to 15 years. A misdemeanor can carry fines up to $5,000 with one year of jail time.
Contact an Accident Attorney Today
If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident and need to receive compensation for your losses, please contact the accident attorneys at The Jingozian Law Group today. They can speak with you in more detail about your case and help to determine how much money you may be entitled to. They will take your case to heart and fight for you in the courts. Please call 818-421-4000 for more information.